After You Arrive Checklist
Creating a new life in a new community can be difficult. But, there are lots of people and organizations here to help you. For example, you may need help to find a job and find somewhere to live, among other things. This checklist will help. It provides a list of things you should know and shows you where you can go for more information and support.
Upon arrival in Leeds and Grenville you should:
- Contact the Cornwall Immigrant Resource Centre. They can help you find the information and services you need to start your new life, including language training and help finding work. They operate across Leeds and Grenville, and can come to you for a meeting.
- Apply for Canadian identification, such as a driver’s license and a health insurance card, which you should carry with you at all times.
- Open a bank account and begin to establish your credit.
- Apply for private health insurance if you are not eligible for immediate public health insurance coverage in your province or territory.
- Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Look for a job.
In your first few weeks you will likely need to:
- Exchange your money for Canadian currency. You can do this at any local bank
- Explore your housing options
- Do some shopping for you and your family. There are many shopping options across Leeds and Grenville
- Get a telephone book from the local telephone company. You can find out how to contact your local telephone company by dialing 411 from any phone.
- Learn more about traveling to and from Leeds and Grenville
- Register your children in school.
In your first few months you will likely need to:
- Practice and improve your English language skills
- Explore your options for communications and other household services
- Get a family doctor
- Have your children immunized
- Apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit
- Apply for the GST/HST Credit
You may also want to:
- Understand your rights and responsibilities under Canadian law