“Those who fail to plan, plan to fail”
– author unknown
You should begin preparing for life in Canada before you arrive here. This will help you make a smooth transition to your new country. The following checklist will help you plan for life in Canada, before you arrive:
- Gather all of your essential and important documents. Have them translated into English or French.
- Look into taking English or French lessons through the LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) program. In Leeds and Grenville, the LINC program is offered by TR Leger.
- Prepare yourself to find work in Canada.
- Learn about how to go about finding work here.
- Research Canada’s labour market.
- Have your academic and professional credentials assessed. This will help you understand if your credentials are recognized in Canada.
- Consider buying private health insurance for the time you are traveling and for the short period before you become eligible for Canada’s medicare system.
- Make sure you know what you can and cannot bring into Canada.
- Consider the season and weather you will find when you arrive—and the clothing that you will need.
- Choose a community to live in. Any one of the 13 municipalities in Leeds and Grenville is an excellent choice!
Preparing as much as possible before you arrive in Canada will help you adjust to your new home and get involved in your new community.
Good luck on your journey!